Thursday, October 27, 2011

Jealousy


Four days left on surgery. Home stretch.

I like when I can help with things. That is, I like to be assigned useful tasks I'm good at. For example:

1) Page me when the patient goes to the OR - Good task, can do, serves a purpose.
2) Hold this retractor with your left hand - Another good task.
3) Write a note that we can't use and no one will read - Not such a fun activity.

Useful busy work is okay, un-useful busy work annoys me. Recently though, one of my main jobs (retracting) has been outsourced to this bizarre piece of equipment that looks like a spider (retractor). I guess it's actually called an 'Omni-tract'. My list of useful, doable jobs is being encroached upon! The worst part of this is that I am then left with no task to do, so I steal some other piece of equipments job - such as holding the suction hose closed (thereby stealing some clamp's job... it's a vicious cycle).

I'd like to wipe that pretty extender off the omni-tract's smug lode bar, if you catch my meaning.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment