Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thrifty Business


Junior Medical Students do not, as a rule, have a lot of money. My entire income, for the past three years, for example, must be paid back with interest. This has the effect of essentially making anything I pay for cost 1.5 to 2 times it's actual sticker price (when it finally gets paid for - years from now).

Luckily, I get a lot of great financial advice. This usually take the form of 'Don't Spend Money on [x]'. Eg, 'Don't spend money on Starbucks.'; 'Don't spend money in the cafeteria.'; 'Here, take this free iPad'.

In fairness, that iPad wasn't free - it's included with the tuition.

Recently though, I'm enjoying the more proactive advice. This takes the form of 'Instead of [x] do [y].' So instead of cafeteria lunch, we sponge off the interns free lunch. Instead of textbooks, I do questions. Instead of my own internet conduction, I'm sharing a Wifi connection. Judging from the strength, I'm guessing the hub is maintained by political dissidents in China to avoid the firewall.

For the medical trainee, a penny saved is 1.8 pennies earned.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment