Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dis-Orientation


One month in, I've noticed some things about my transition to wards. Right at the beginning, I had a lot of things that ostensibly helped me adjust to my new academic life. I was given great tips about not being sexually harassed, not plagiarizing, and why it's not a good idea for me to just show up when I feel like.

But the practical information... density... left a little something to be desired. BMP stands for 'basic metabolic panel' and the criterion for ordering said test is that we always do. You can't write a note in the EMR unless you access the chart a certain way. Attendings rotate at twice the speed of ordinary students. Et cetera.

Maybe you can't teach that stuff; maybe they just don't. It's not too hard to pick up, I suppose.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment