Thursday, August 18, 2011

Epocrates Platinum


There are correctable and non-correctable deficiencies that turn up repeatedly over the course of medical education. A common theme over the past month or two is that my medicine superiors tend to like me to be able to do history & physical, and often present the patient. Actual management, though, does not seem to be the purview of the JMS. Usually, it's enough to say something to the effect of 'hang fluid' or 'give antibiotics', and it's generally accepted that we're on the right track.

Some attendings, on the other hand, are not privy to this tacit guideline. Sometimes, I'll look at a potassium of 3.5, and want it at four. The correct way to do this would be to give 50 mEq of potassium chloride preferably by mouth, else by iv. A problem with this plan is that there is no such 50 mEq pill - they come in 20s.

Also, I'm not exactly clear on what a 'mEq' is... I think I forgot this in 2005.

In any case, now and then we have had pharmacy people following along. They are really good at Epocrates (for the record, Micromedex is also great - and iPad sized), and occasionally save me the trouble of looking 'medication simple'. I appreciate any opportunity to not look dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment