Sunday, September 25, 2011

Monday Morning


Tomorrow is Monday. The Monday after a golden weekend.

Actually, in fairness, having the golden weekend off really does help as far as recharging one's batteries goes. The hardest days to get up are after you've had to work through a weekend... maybe the Wednesday after or so. By day 9 or 10 of 12 consecutive days on, I am no longer feeling bright-eyed and/or bushy-tailed.

One of the staff at my hospital was musing in conference about the dearth of new general surgeons. People are picking other fields. I don't think it's hard to see why. At some point, quality of life does matter. You wonder why people like fields like Derm, Gas, and Rads more than Gen Surg? It's not really about the money - we'll be able to do fine no matter what the field. It's about the sleep, the going home, and the ability to have a life independent of your work.

That shit is priceless.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. What field at you planning on jumping into? I agree, I want to have a life outside of work. Having a family and spending time with them, travelling, hobbies, etc. Working day in and out will make most people mad, but some people live for it. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I'm glad there are surgeons in the world too, but I'm not sure that I can wake up in the 4:00 hour for the next several years of my life.

    Lately I'm thinking about Radiology maybe - eternal twilight, but cool toys and tech.

    ReplyDelete